Re: Important information regarding the merger of core and extras, and what this means to Legacy

On Wed, Nov 15, 2006 at 10:10:13AM -0500, Jesse Keating wrote:
> So why don't you use CentOS which as a annual or every other year release?

We use CentOS too. However, people a) want more cutting-edge and b) want
Fedora. And if my group doesn't provide something that covers that demand,
people will go off on their own, and then the security team will go back to
being hugely overloaded with Linux break-ins.

To expand on my earlier kvetching (sorry, no coffee yet):

I'm not able to force anyone here to do anything. Therefore, I have to
encourage good practice entirely via "carrots". This works best when we
align with the academic year -- a release in the spring, current through the
following summer to allow time for upgrades. Ideally, *two* years and a
summer, but I understand that's not practical.

As it is, what will happen is: whatever Fedora release is current as of
June-July-August will get installed on people's systems, and, with goading,
upgraded the next summer. If the actual Fedora release happens to be new in
June-July, the 13-month plan will be great, but if the latest release was
from, say, January, that leaves a big hole in which systems *will* get
broken into.

But, I find "If you need it to really work, use CentOS" to be a bad answer
for Fedora. CentOS is great, but since it is by necessity in its own world,
CentOS users don't feed back into the Fedora ecosystem in the same way,
which is a big loss for Fedora. (With the new baby, I missed out on
following the extras-for-RHEL discussion -- I need to check into how that's
panning out, and how it fits with merging Extras and Core. The availability
of Extras is currently a huge draw for Fedora over CentOS.)

So, given the realities, we probably will end up shifting our main BU Linux
efforts to Fedora, but may also provide a "BU Linux Extreme" Fedora spin.
I'm not sure how best to fit this into our calendar. If we disregard that,
we'll end up with insecure systems that just disregard *us*.

Extending the lifespan from ~9 to ~13 months is a huge help, but to cover
the gaps, we really need more like 18-19.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx          <http://mattdm.org/>