Re: You Need Fedora Legacy!! Re: [fab] looking at our surrent state a bit

Quoting David Eisenstein <deisenst@xxxxxxx>:

What do you suggest as an alternative for IRC for folks who are not able or
interested in using it?

I work in several opensource projects that have IRC channels, and I've never
used IRC for any of them, and no one has ever complained about that fact
except for here on FL.

Instead, I use e-mail (the project mailing lists in all cases, except for
here on FL where I sometimes use private e-mail also). Not a real big fan
of the private e-mail, but it works here for some FL stuff.

I've never had any lack of ability to do anything I wanted using e-mail
instead of IRC on any of the projects I've worked on.

I'm not knocking IRC.  It has some limitations though, such as timezone
issues, etc.  Plus, some of us work on FL stuff at work, and IRC may be
blocked at our work place or disruptive to our work.  This can be a real
issue for some of us.  Hence, I never use IRC/IM at work, and hence since
99% of my opensource work is done at the office and not at home, that means
I really can't use IRC/IM for these projects.

Now, I think IRC is very useful for some things.  For example, if you have
a "board" or "core" group that has regular meetings, IRC is a great way
to have those meetings.  But for the typical FL user who isn't a core/board
member, it is overkill.  And I just don't see why I should be forced to
install (IRC) software on my machine, learn how to use it, wonder if the
University Network Folks will come knocking on my door because of it,
and let it disrupt my work, just so I can ask a question that I can ask
via e-mail.

Now, e-mail lists have advantages also.  A nice, searchable archive of the
messages for reference by others, reference for myself later, and as a
source for creating the documenation on the issues addressed there.  Plus
of course the asynchronous nature which allows people in all different
time zones to participate, etc.

So I'm not for getting rid of IRC, just for making it an additional option
and not a required option.

	Warm regards,
	David Eisenstein

--