Re: lwn article on the death of Fedora Legacy

On 10/19/06, Jesse Keating <jkeating@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Thursday 19 October 2006 11:44, Matthew Miller wrote:
> When Jesse Keating worked at Pogo, that was largely true, but with his
> duties at RH and with his new kid, it doesn't seem to be the case anymore.
> I'm sure this is not Jesse's fault -- there needs to be commitment from
> above, and that's clearly not the case.
>
> I think this is really unfortunate, because it makes a big gap in the
> Fedora ecosystem. This will be largely filled by migration to RHEL-rebuild
> distros like CentOS, which is well and good (and particularly painless from
> the end-user point of few) but bad for Fedora.
>
> Without a functioning lifespan of over a year, Fedora is only practically
> useful as an enthusiast, bleeding-edge distro. That's only supposed to be
> _part_ of its mission.

Here is what I think can happen.

A) Kill off RHL now.  Stop trying to do stuff there when we just don't have
the man power or the volunteers.

B) Move to using Extras infrastructure for building packages.  They're ready
for us for FC3 and FC4.

C) Move to Core style updates process.  Spin a possible update, toss it
in -testing.  If nobody says boo after a period of time, release the darn
thing.  If somebody finds it to be broken, fix it and resubmit.

D) Move to Core style plan. Figure out what core packages we are going
to backport for, and what packages we are just going to push the
latest stuff for.

Mozilla -> Seamonkey
Gaim -> Gaim latest

etc.