Re: Fedora Core 4 coming . . . sunset, infrastructure issues . . . meeting?

On Wed, 5 Jul 2006, David D. Eisenstein wrote:

I apologize. Family matters came up that kept me out of town at my parents' house longer than I had thought I'd be (I am still there; was expecting to be home on Monday), so firming up a meeting time didn't happen.

well, there was a very small meeting (ie, me and jesse) yesterday, at the appointed time (or thereabouts); but that's hardly representative. a couple of others were present but didn't chime in on the issue of EOLs.

Having just talked on IRC to Jesse Keating and Marc Deslauriers, they both indicated they would be available at 8pm EDT tomorrow evening (Thursday, July 6th, 2006). 7:00pm CDT. 6pm MDT. 5pm Pacific Daylight time. (That is also 00:00 UTC Friday, July 7th.)

being in cambridge (the cambridge, not the other cambridge), i'm not sure i can stay awake after midnight. if i'm not there,

1) i completely accept we're going to drop both RHs at some point, and that that point is fast approaching.

2) i wouldn't dream of speaking for jesse, but the idea of 3 months for RH73 and 6 months for RH9 was floated (20061001 and 20070101 respectively).

3) if we're re-examining the question, i *beg* for six months notice for RH73 as well as RH9. i honestly believe that six months is a more professional sort of notice period than three, when it comes to upgrading production boxes.

declaration of interest: i have a huge stack of RH73 boxes - some 60 of them - that have to be reinstalled with CentOS by the EOL date. half of them i can only take down between 0200 and 0400 every other sunday - hence my feeling that 6 months is a reasonable notice period. i also have a personal RH9 colo'ed box, but i'm going to be doing that on 20060731. this isn't a justification, just me coming clean about my point of view!

--

  Tom Yates  -  madhatter@xxxxxxxxxxxx  -  http://www.teaparty.net

--

fedora-legacy-list@xxxxxxxxxx