Re: Friday Flames - What to do with RHL7.3/9 and FC1/2

Quoting Jesse Keating <jkeating@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>:

Um, that's all we've BEEN doing is security fixes.  Really, it should
have been obvious to anybody that started using Legacy that one day we
would stop supporting RHL9.  If your product is in the hands of Legacy,
perhaps it is time you start looking for a migration path.  Plain and
simple.

The talk when FL started was that RHL would be supported for a long time,
specifically as long as there was interest in it.  This was probably bad
talk to be spreading, but it was what was being spread.

Anyway, the concern was to keep RHL alive until there was a good migration
path.  That path has been arriving as of late.  So it is reasonable to now
talk about dropping RHL.  But just because some migration paths are now
available doesn't mean people have planned for the migration.  So we need to
be sensitive to that, and give people a warning that the time is now to
plan for the migration, and you have X amount of time to accomplish it.

I've stayed with RHL a lot longer than I thought I would because the
migration path simply wasn't there at first, and wasn't well tested and
debugged until recently.  I've slowly been migrating to non-RHL versions,
and I _have_ been bit by a few things (like NIS incompatibilies for
example).  There are other issues (for example a supported RHEL or clone
install of 3.x now requires 256 MB of memory, which was not the case
for RHL, so people may need to upgrade RAM and other things (disk partition
sizes, etc).

I think that most of the problems with migration have either been worked
out or found out (usually with a work around) by now, so it isn't a
tremendous problem like it was 2-3 years back.  So now is a good time to
drop RHL IMHO.

In fact, I think it is important we think about forcing people to move
from RHL to something else now, while the options for a semi-compatible
upgrade are available.  What I mean is, most distro's are quickly running
towards the 2.6 kernel and its various OS changes, and making an upgrade
from RHL to a 2.6 distro is a painful thing to do for a complex production
system.  So they need to be encouraged to do the less painful jump from
RHL to a 2.4 kernel based distro now, while those 2.4 kernel systems are
still available and supported.  If we coddle them to long, when our RHL
support does die, it will be a real problem migrating to a 2.6 based
system for many folks.  And if those folks are still running RHL at this
time, they are not likely to pay for support or migration services.  Hence,
as much as it pains me to say so, now _is_ the time to address this issue.

--
Eric Rostetter
The Department of Physics

Go Longhorns!