RE: Friday Flames - What to do with RHL7.3/9 and FC1/2

> > Is there a reason why you would go with RH 7.3 instead of RHEL or
> > something similar?  Why would you setup a machine with an OS that is
> > already unsupported?

The reason I want to set up another RH7.3 system is because I want RH7.3 to
continue to be supported, by helping out with its support.

Though, my future home Linux server plans will likely use whatever release is
current/stable (but once they are working, they'll stay fixed at that version).

> And being on your 3rd root disk, for the same machine, sounds
> a lot like
> hardware failure to me... and something to be worried about. ;-)
>
> I take it you are just a home user of RH73, not someone who
> supports an
> organization or company of RH73 systems, right?

Yes, that's my home system that is on its 3rd root disk.  Though it was due to
the failure of the 2nd root disk, which came about because I felt the need to
upgrade to a bigger disk.  It was original an 80GB 5400rpm Maxtor drive.  And,
I had an extra from a batch of 250GB 7200rpm Maxtor drives (which have all
mysteriously failed....).  So, the root disk is now a 300GB Seagate.  So now
the machine has two 300GB Seagate drives and a 300GB Maxtor drive in it.
Pretty much at this point, the only thing I plan to do it is up the memory to
1GB.  And, leave it be until it combusts (that's what happened to the machine
it replaced.....)

As I mentioned, I left 4 RH73 machines at my last job....where they have nobody
to support them now, so they just expect them to run forever (though for the
short term, my manager could call me back in to help out...since I'm still
living across the street from the office).  Kind of cost prohibitive to buy
some copies of RHEL ES to run on a bunch of lowly machines (a P-II 400, a P-III
450, a dual P-III 500, and a p-III 1.13G)...just because RedHat considers being
an NIS server to not be a WS function (the company just uses RHEL WS machines
for its Development and QA machines, and they have to remember that these are
the machines they can't FTP into....though the source and release areas are
hosted on the NFS server, so FTP isn't used that often).  They aren't
interested in trying other distros....  But, among those company servers
running RH73....there has only been one disk failure....and it was one of the
data drives on the NFS server...we were having quite a string of bad luck with
73GB disks around then....wonder if it was because they were IBM drives.

Lawrence

--

fedora-legacy-list@xxxxxxxxxx