Re: RPM upgrade discussion

Bill Nottingham wrote:
Warren Togami (warren@xxxxxxxxxx) said:

The new (4.2.1) behavior is more predictable, but it breaks backward
compatibility with old packages that have broken requirements
specifications (i.e., missing specific epochs when they're needed). If
we want to move Red Hat 8.0 and 9 over to the new behavior, we could
make new mozilla, etc. packages that work properly with RPM 4.2.1,
however.

Updates for Mozilla will most likely be needed one day, because of the very large complexity of a behemoth like Mozilla we will surely have a security update in the future. I think.

Yes, but pushing a new RPM with this will cause problems for
people installing original packages in the meantime.

Bill

Only if we enable the rpm-4.2.1 epoch behavior. The other fixes don't cause this regression in behavior.

Warren