Re: installation problem

On Tue, Sep 03, 2013 at 01:01:32PM -0500, Billy Crook wrote:
> Is the 'Secure attention sequence" useful on Linux in general?
> Supporting what people are used to is valuable in its own right, but
> is there any security advantage to users using a special sequence to
> commence unlocking in GNU+Linux?
> I'd personally not want to use it because I've seen too many GNU+Linux
> systems get rebooted by a C+A+D that was intended as a SAS.

Sorry, I wasn't talking about a secure key (we don't have one) but rather
pressing a key which doesn't actually _do_ anything in order to clear the
screen. In olden times, sometimes when you pressed "enter" to clear a
screensaver, you'd accidentally also say Okay to some dialog box underneath.
The shield doesn't do that, but there's still a risk of it happening if the
system is busy and slow to respond and you hit an "active" key several times
in a row.

--
Matthew Miller           mattdm@xxxxxxxxxx          <http://mattdm.org/>