Re: installation problem

On Tue, Sep 3, 2013 at 12:24 PM, Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On Tue, Sep 03, 2013 at 12:01:49PM -0400, Chris Bredesen wrote:
>> >This is the Gnome 3 "shield". Hit ESC twice, or _drag_ the mouse upward.
>> >You're not the first person to be confused by this -- hopefully this can get
>> >somewhat better in a future version.
>> [Enter] works as well. Agreed, it should be clearer on the shield
>> what the user needs to do to proceed.
>
> It would also be nice for it to respond to modifier keys (shift, ctrl, alt),
> as many people are conditioned to use these as the "safe" way to cleara
> screensaver.

Is the 'Secure attention sequence" useful on Linux in general?
Supporting what people are used to is valuable in its own right, but
is there any security advantage to users using a special sequence to
commence unlocking in GNU+Linux?

I'd personally not want to use it because I've seen too many GNU+Linux
systems get rebooted by a C+A+D that was intended as a SAS.

> And, really, I'd very much like the option to opt-out. (There's an
> extension, but it doesn't work very well.)

On my Fedora 19 system, I can just ignore the shield and begin typing
my pass-phrase and it gets out of the way and I can log in like
normal.  So I'm not particularly against the shield.

I'm still quite curious why the shield was created.  i.e. If one was a
good idea, why aren't there seventeen?  I'd personally like seeing the
shield stay down while locked, so that the length of my pass-phrase is
never visible.