From: laptop-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx [mailto:laptop-bounces@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx] On Behalf Of Ankur Sinha
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2012 11:36 PM
To: laptop@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: WiFi For laptop

On Mon, 2012-06-11 at 22:23 -0500, Chris Schumann wrote:
> On 06/11/2012 07:32 PM, capesius@xxxxxxx wrote:
> > Hello, I am new to Linux and just installed Fedora 17 on my new Fujitsu laptop.  Prior to installing Linux, when I was on Windows 7, I would just click on the network icon in the lower right corner of Windows and put in the SSID and password and I would be able to connect to the Internet wirelessly (my apartment complex provides free Internet).  I connect the same way, to the Internet, with my IPad. How do I do the same in Linux via wiFi? I don't have a wireless card as far as I know (tried lspci | grep Wireless..showed nothing). It only shows "wired" as an available option to connect to The Internet for me via Fedora 17?
> FWIW, the corresponding card in my ThinkPad is as follows:
> 03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Ultimate N WiFi Link
> 5300 (So it's not called Wireless in this case.)
>
> Compare to my wired device:
> 00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82567LM Gigabit Network
> Connection (rev 03)
>
> Chris

As Chris already pointed out, please check the entire output of lspci/lsusb to see what wireless hardware you're system is using[1]

Mostly, they work out of the box. If they don't, please take a look at this web page[2]. It has information on getting most cards to work.

[1] http://fedoramobile.org/Members/MrHappy/getting-started
[2] http://fedoramobile.org/

--
Thanks,
Warm regards,

Please only print if necessary.

http://dodoincfedora.wordpress.com/
[ccapesius@ChrisC ~]$ lspci
00:00.0 Host bridge: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family DRAM Controller (rev 09)
00:02.0 VGA compatible controller: Intel Corporation 2nd Generation Core Processor Family Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 09)
00:14.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point USB xHCI Host Controller (rev 04)
00:16.0 Communication controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point MEI Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1a.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #2 (rev 04)
00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation Panther Point High Definition Audio Controller (rev 04)
00:1c.0 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point PCI Express Root Port 1 (rev c4)
00:1c.2 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point PCI Express Root Port 3 (rev c4)
00:1c.4 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point PCI Express Root Port 5 (rev c4)
00:1c.5 PCI bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point PCI Express Root Port 6 (rev c4)
00:1d.0 USB Controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point USB Enhanced Host Controller #1 (rev 04)
00:1f.0 ISA bridge: Intel Corporation Panther Point LPC Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.2 SATA controller: Intel Corporation Panther Point 6 port SATA AHCI Controller (rev 04)
00:1f.3 SMBus: Intel Corporation Panther Point SMBus Controller (rev 04)
02:00.0 Ethernet controller: Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL8111/8168B PCI Express Gigabit Ethernet controller (rev 07)
08:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Device 0887 (rev c4)