Re: WiFi For laptop

On Mon, 2012-06-11 at 22:23 -0500, Chris Schumann wrote:
> On 06/11/2012 07:32 PM, capesius@xxxxxxx wrote:
> > Hello, I am new to Linux and just installed Fedora 17 on my new Fujitsu laptop.  Prior to installing Linux, when I was on Windows 7, I would just click on the network icon in the lower right corner of Windows and put in the SSID and password and I would be able to connect to the Internet wirelessly (my apartment complex provides free Internet).  I connect the same way, to the Internet, with my IPad. How do I do the same in Linux via wiFi? I don't have a wireless card as far as I know (tried lspci | grep Wireless..showed nothing). It only shows "wired" as an available option to connect to The Internet for me via Fedora 17?
> FWIW, the corresponding card in my ThinkPad is as follows:
> 03:00.0 Network controller: Intel Corporation Ultimate N WiFi Link 5300
> (So it's not called Wireless in this case.)
>
> Compare to my wired device:
> 00:19.0 Ethernet controller: Intel Corporation 82567LM Gigabit Network
> Connection (rev 03)
>
> Chris

As Chris already pointed out, please check the entire output of
lspci/lsusb to see what wireless hardware you're system is using[1]

Mostly, they work out of the box. If they don't, please take a look at
this web page[2]. It has information on getting most cards to work.

[1] http://fedoramobile.org/Members/MrHappy/getting-started
[2] http://fedoramobile.org/

--
Thanks,