Re: extremely slow copy speed (50k/s)

vinícius mota wrote:

> Briefly, the problem is that the copy speed between the partition in
> which I am running my Fedora and another partition where I store backup
> data is now 50K/s, which is extremely slow by any standart (it has been
> usually around 10M/s, almost 200 times faster).

Wow, that's slow between partitions.

> One of the disks is partitioned between two operational
> systems, Fedora 14 64 and Windows 7 64, and the other disk contains the
> above referred partition where I store my backups (I call it backup
> disk).
> I login into the windows and
> made a copy of some AVI files (3G approx) to the backup disk, which went
> normally

So hardware is ok and, also, Windows' disk handlers are probably ok.

> I move data within the backup iself disk using windows also without any
> problem.

I don't think this would move the files, would it?  Wouldn't the
directory entries, only, change?  Could you try a 'copy' within the
backup (under windows), just to be sure.  Preferably something quite
large.

> I try therefore to make the inverse process, a copy from the
> backup disk into my home folder in Fedora. It went normally, copying 4 G
> also within few seconds, actually with an excellent speed of 50M/s.

Good

> [Google might show] one cause could be that the source file system (in my
> case the Fedora home folder) would be near its full capacity.

I wouldn't have thought so; to me it looks much more like a data
problem on the destination, or a problem in the F14 disk handlers (but
would have been quite widely reported, by now?).

It is clear that you have been using Fedora for some time so I expect
you have already done what I will ask, but you did not say.  My first
thought on reading the symptoms was that, possibly, the backup
partition is getting full with 'wastebasket/recyclebin' files, which
have to be 'deleted for real' before the 'new files' that you are
copying can be copied.  And, maybe, Windows is a little bit faster at
that than F14 NTFS handlers (maybe).  Maybe F14 is 'deleting for real'
at a single sector at a time, or something?

I wonder, also, if the number of IO reads and writes on the backup
disk could be measured and reported; that might provide a clue as to
whether there is excessive processing, or whether there is otherwise
some software delay.   But I do not know how to measure IO transactions.

> He is the line of my /etc/fstab file which defines my backup disk, with
> the label common
>
> LABEL=common            /home/vinicius/Desktop/common  ntfs
> auto,user,sync  0 0

Am I correct in thinking that 'sync' disables write-caching?  It might
be interesting to change that, and see if performance is still just as
bad.

Best of luck, Ron