Re: Rawhide non-debug kernel is debug-kernel config ?

On Mon, Aug 2, 2021 at 3:59 PM Joel Wirāmu Pauling <jwp@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Understood; app streams would enable this as you can tag versions and
> collections of packages so would be easy to have a default of say the
> nodebug module of the kernel be the default appstream in rawhide and also
> provide a nodebug variant as a appstream module.
>
> Likewise for headers/tools etc.
>
> This would also make it easier to provide rawhide kernels in stable ; I
> guess in my view the appstream/modules is the 'right' way to do the kernel
> as it would solve for most of the existing usecases within an existing
> capability of package management.

This is not so easy as it sounds, yes, you can install and boot a
rawhide kernel in stable Fedora version. No, it will not function as
expected. Anyone running a 3rd party module would be unable to build
that module because the compiler versions are typically different.
Toolchain matters.

> Historically the pushback seems to have been 'but we already have a
> weird way of doing the kernel' likewise for glibc and python. This seems
> like a bit of a weird argument.

Push back is it would imply some level of support, which is not
possible to offer.

Justin