Re: Upcoming Fedora kernel workflow changes

On Wed, 2020-04-15 at 11:31 +0200, Thorsten Leemhuis wrote:
> Am 15.04.20 um 00:37 schrieb Jeremy Cline:
> > On Tue, 2020-04-07 at 15:33 +0000, Jeremy Cline wrote:
> > > On Wed, 2020-03-11 at 16:40 +0000, Jeremy Cline wrote:
> > >
> > > Just a note folks, the plan is to do this starting next week
> > > after
> > > the close of the v5.7 merge window.
> >
> > Okay, this is now done. You may notice a number of stale options
> > made
> > their way back into the config files, it's on my to-do list to
> > clean
> > this up assuming there aren't any larger fires this week.
>
> There is one thing I really dislike about the scheme (one it didn't
> notice when I took a brief look at it weeks ago; sorry): There are no
> individual patches anymore in dist-git/the srpm and that afaics
> violates
> the packaging guidelines.
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/packaging-guidelines/#_applying_patches
>
> ```
> The files MUST then be checked into the Fedora Package revision
> control
> system […]. Storing the files in this way allows people to use
> standard
> tools to visualize the changes between revisions of the files and
> track
> additions and removals without a layer of indirection […].
> ```
> There are other rules in the patch section that afaics are violated.
> Were those violation discussed and blessed by the
> Fedora Packaging Committee or FESCo?
>
> I for one would dislike such an exception, because I sometimes look
> at
> kernel source packages from other dists and it is always annoying
> when I
> can't easily see individual patches. It also makes it way harder for
> users to remove one certain patch that Fedora applied for testing or
> other reasons.
>
> So you you maybe change the scheme so individual patch files land in
> the
> src.rpm?

I'll look into how simple it is to change. It's easy to see in the
source tree, though, just look at the "ark-patches" branch.

> Cu, knurd
>
> P.S.: The "--with-vanilla" build option afaics doesn't work anymore,
> as
>  patch-%{rpmversion}-redhat.patch and linux-kernel-test.patch are
> always
> applied.

I'll see about that as well. Note that if you want a vanilla SRPM it's
easy from the source tree:

$ git checkout master
$ git merge internal
$ sed -i 's/=13/=11/g'
redhat/configs/fedora/generic/arm/aarch64/CONFIG_FORCE_MAX_ZONEORDER
$ make rh-srpm

However, if you want to continue building from the dist-git, the patch
is ignored if it's empty so doing

$ truncate -s 0 patch-*-redhat.patch

will also give you a vanilla build.

- Jeremy