Re: compiling and installing a custom kernel (5.5.7)

On Sun, 01 Mar 2020 18:06:43 +0100
"Michael J. Baars" <mjbaars1977.fedora-kernel@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> What am I doing wrong??? Have I forgotten to install a dependency of
> some sort?
>
> Also, I found this link:
> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/kernel/build-custom-kernel/
> which seems a little outdated. It is not of any use to me in its
> current state.

I successfully have built and installed custom kernels for both 5.5 and
5.6 in F31. However, I use an older method with the src.rpm,
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Building_a_custom_kernel/Source_RPM
instead of any of the currently recommended methods, and install from
rpms.  I am unfamiliar with the method you are using, so cannot offer
any help. However, it does sound like a bug that anything would be
looking for lilo in F31.  I think the currently recommended methods
(mock?  fedpkg?) automatically install any needed dependencies from the
repositories, so if it is a dependency error, they would correct that.
What does the output say?  I usually use something
like  > output.save 2> error.save
on the commands when I have problems, set verbose in the spec file, and
then examine the saved output to see what caused the error.  A
dependency problem will usually show up before the actual error in the
output e.g. in your case it might warn of not finding something it is
looking for before it defaults to lilo.