Re: compiling and installing a custom kernel (5.5.7)

Hi,

On 3/1/20 6:06 PM, Michael J. Baars wrote:
Hi,

Since I've upgraded to Fedora 31, I'm having trouble compiling and
installing custom kernels. This never happened with Fedora 30, so some
things must have changed that I'm unaware of.

'dnf info kernel-5.5.7' shows that the Fedora team is successful in
compiling and installing the new kernels where I'm not. Help would be
appreciated.

After downloading the most recent kernel from the kernel archives I run
this sequence of commands as usual:

make menuconfig O=../linux-5.5.7-build
make modules_install O=../linux-5.5.7-build
make install O=../linux-5.5.7-build

The first two commands run without error. The third one, it seems is
not looking for the grub bootloader, but for the lilo bootloader, and
exits with an error. This is only since I use Fedora 31.

What am I doing wrong??? Have I forgotten to install a dependency of
some sort?

Also, I found this link:
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/kernel/build-custom-kernel/
which seems a little outdated. It is not of any use to me in its
current state.

The kernel makefile expects grub installs to have an "installkernel"
command available. On Fedora this is part of grubby which in recent
Fedora releases is no longer installed by default.

"sudo dnf install grubby"

Should make the last step work.

Javier (added to the Cc) is there any chance we can move the installkernel
script into a package which is installed by default?

Regards,

Hans