Re: compiling and installing a custom kernel (5.5.7)

Hello Hans,

On 3/1/20 7:18 PM, Hans de Goede wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On 3/1/20 6:06 PM, Michael J. Baars wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> Since I've upgraded to Fedora 31, I'm having trouble compiling and
>> installing custom kernels. This never happened with Fedora 30, so some
>> things must have changed that I'm unaware of.
>>
>> 'dnf info kernel-5.5.7' shows that the Fedora team is successful in
>> compiling and installing the new kernels where I'm not. Help would be
>> appreciated.
>>
>> After downloading the most recent kernel from the kernel archives I run
>> this sequence of commands as usual:
>>
>> make menuconfig O=../linux-5.5.7-build
>> make modules_install O=../linux-5.5.7-build
>> make install O=../linux-5.5.7-build
>>
>> The first two commands run without error. The third one, it seems is
>> not looking for the grub bootloader, but for the lilo bootloader, and
>> exits with an error. This is only since I use Fedora 31.
>>
>> What am I doing wrong??? Have I forgotten to install a dependency of
>> some sort?
>>
>> Also, I found this link:
>> https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/quick-docs/kernel/build-custom-kernel/
>> which seems a little outdated. It is not of any use to me in its
>> current state.
>
> The kernel makefile expects grub installs to have an "installkernel"
> command available. On Fedora this is part of grubby which in recent

That's correct.

> Fedora releases is no longer installed by default.
>
> "sudo dnf install grubby"
>
> Should make the last step work.
>
> Javier (added to the Cc) is there any chance we can move the installkernel
> script into a package which is installed by default?

The old grubby tool is no longer installed by default and is part of the
grubby-deprecated package now. But the grubby package that contains the
installkernel script (and the grubby script that manages the snippets in
/boot/loader/entries) should still be installed by default.

> Regards,
>
> Hans

Best regards,
--
Javier Martinez Canillas
Software Engineer - Desktop Hardware Enablement