Re: Have the 5.6 kernels dropped support for user input of entropy to the kernel?

On 2/24/20 1:24 PM, stan wrote:
On Mon, 24 Feb 2020 17:29:07 +0100
Florian Weimer <fweimer@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

* stan:

I built my first 5.6 custom kernel from the src.rpm yesterday in
F31. And my patch to enable the use of a daemon I run to gather
entropy from an rtl2832 (atmospheric) and put it into the kernel to
keep the entropy pool full failed.  This has happened in the past,
that's why I have to patch, but the interface was never removed
before.  If it has been removed, can you point me to the discussion
that led to that decision.

I haven't done a complete analysis yet, the changes are pretty
extensive.  But the marker that the callback used to trigger the daemon
has been removed.

-               .procname       = "read_wakeup_threshold",
-               .data           = &random_read_wakeup_bits,
-               .maxlen         = sizeof(int),
-               .mode           = 0644,
-               .proc_handler   = proc_dointvec_minmax,
-               .extra1         = &min_read_thresh,
-               .extra2         = &max_read_thresh,
-       },

This seems to have been replaced with hard-coded functions that read
from specific sources (mouse, key strokes, hard drives, etc.) to gather
system entropy.

I wanted to see the rationale for the changes before I invested the
time to see how it is all working together now, and how to insert my
code without disrupting everything. This is a pretty critical part of
the kernel (I would say vital), so I like to be sure that everything is
making sense, and that it was vetted properly.

I'm not an expert in this, so I could be reading it all wrong, but I
want to investigate before I decide.  The developer description of the
changes and the reasoning behind them would be the place to start.
Maybe the decision was that no one was using this interface, so it
didn't make sense to keep it around (more code to rot, and threaten
security).

https://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/torvalds/linux.git/commit/drivers/char/random.c?id=c95ea0c69ffda19381c116db2be23c7e654dac98

And the thread if you'd like to read
https://lore.kernel.org/linux-api/cover.1577088521.git.luto@xxxxxxxxxx/