Re: Some more upcoming Fedora kernel changes

On Tue, Nov 12, 2019 at 01:55:05AM +0000, Jóhann B. Guðmundsson wrote:
> Originally it was the agility of the Fedora distribution, which
> reflected the industry direction through the community contribution
> in the project, which gave RH that valuable business insight to
> build upon and marketing advantage that came thereof but now the
> fact is, these changes to the project in whole are bubbling up from
> RH(EL) not tripling down from Fedora's community and all those RH
> changes that started small as you are proposing/doing have grown
> into this unmovable monstrosity of chopped fragmented blob
> resembling an distribution that is only move by "if it builds, let's
> ship it" chants.

Let's not overgeneralize. If the RHEL spec has some changes that are
also beneficial in Fedora (e.g. the module compression work), than we
want to merge them "up". If there are differences between the Fedora
and RHEL specs that make moving fixes back and forth awkward and make
the life of kernel maintainers harder, then we want to synchronize the
specs. We're not talking about developing some "technology" here, and
while I agree that in general it is better to develop new code upstream,
this hardly applies to a spec file.

(Also, in general, when stuff was developed downstream in the past,
let's applaud the people who want to move it upstream, not make it
sound like they are doing something wrong.)

Zbyszek