Re: kdbus and Fedora

On Wed, Jun 24, 2015 at 12:46 PM, Harald Hoyer <harald@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> On 24.06.2015 17:17, Josh Boyer wrote:

>>> Well, rawhide and rawhide only so it does play into what happens at
>>> branch time.  But yes, I think the proposal seems to cover this well
>>> enough and we can worry about it more when we come to that point.

>>> I'm waiting on the next posting of them before we bring them in.  It
>>> sounds like the proposed item 4 is already covered by the "kdbus"
>>> mechanism that systemd looks for so as long as that doesn't change, I
>>> think we're OK.
>>
>> Of course, the systemd mechanism changed.  Upstream now builds the
>> kdbus code in and requires kdbus=0 on the command line to disable it.
>> If I understand correctly, systemd should fall back to userspace dbus
>> if that is specified or if the kdbus.ko module is missing.
>>
>> Harald, given one of the conditions for carrying this was testing both
>> kdubs and non-kdbus setups, is your team prepared to do that with the
>> change in place in upstream systemd now?
>>

> systemd.spec in fedora has the configure options "--disable-kdbus", which means
> "do not connect to kdbus by default".
>
> http://cgit.freedesktop.org/systemd/systemd/tree/src/shared/bus-util.c#n2031
>
> bool is_kdbus_wanted(void) {
>
> #ifdef ENABLE_KDBUS
>         const bool configured = true;
> #else
>         const bool configured = false;
> #endif
>
>         if (get_proc_cmdline_key("kdbus", NULL) > 0)
>                 return true;
>
>         r = get_proc_cmdline_key("kdbus=", &value);
>         if (r <= 0)
>                 return configured;
>
>         return parse_boolean(value) == 1;
>

> So, I would say we are good to go. Default is "off", and it can be enabled with
> "kdbus" or "kdbus=1" on the kernel command line.

I just pushed this to git and started a build.  It will be in rawhide
tomorrow with the 4.2.0-0.rc1.git2.1 kernel.  (I was waiting for rc1
before adding it.)

I did test both with and without kdbus=1 and both worked at least from
a boot standpoint.  The initramfs on an install lacks the kdbus
module, so it needs to be rebuilt if one wishes to use kdbus.

josh