Re: .0 KDE releases have terrible track record, so...

Running Plasma 5.27.10 Wayland and just followed your directions and tested the screenshare capability and had zero issues with it sharing the screen. It works. Thanks for that.

John Pierce

On Sun, Jan 28, 2024 at 11:35 PM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On Mon, Jan 29, 2024 at 5:24 AM Adam Batkin <adam@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On Sat, Jan 27, 2024 at 6:41 PM Neal Gompa <ngompa13@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> >
> > On Sat, Jan 27, 2024 at 6:16 PM Emmett Culley
> > <lst_manage@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Even with the latest upgrades to Fedora 39, I am still having issues with Zoom on wayland.  I cannot operate day to day without zoom working.
> > >
> > > Unless and until that is resolved, eliminating wayland is a serious blocker.
> >
> > This has been sort-of resolved in Zoom for well over two years.
> >
> > The trick is to copy the Zoom desktop file from
> > /usr/share/applications to ~/.local/share/applications and edit the
> > new copy to change the Exec line to the following:
> >
> > Exec=XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP=GNOME /usr/bin/zoom %U
>
> This does not appear to work. The share dialog comes up empty.
>
> Running with QT_QPA_PLATFORM=xcb does work, and allows sharing.

I've been running it this way since the support was added in Zoom
5.10. If you have enableWaylandShare=true in your zoom config, then it will
fail without the XDG_CURRENT_DESKTOP lie saying your environment is
not compatible. Sometimes you may also need to force PipeWire as a
backend.

All of these are kindly documented by the Arch folks:
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/Zoom_Meetings#Wayland

> I've been running Wayland full-time with KDE/Plasma for a little more
> than 2 years now, and this is one of only three applications that
> gives me trouble. Plus rofi that can't do windows switching (maybe
> someday KDE will support wlr-foreign-toplevel-management, or some
> other mechanism to query active windows and things like that?)

Please file a bug to ask for support in KWin:
https://bugs.kde.org/enter_bug.cgi?product=kwin&component=wayland-generic