Re: Freezing Plasma in Fedora?

On 23/12/2020 05:04, Sérgio Basto wrote:
On Mon, 2020-12-21 at 19:04 -0700, Robin Laing wrote:
On 17/12/2020 15:51, Mikhail Ramendik wrote:
Hello,

I had to leave Fedora a year ago because of breaking KDE Plasma
updates mid-cycle (even on "current minus one" Fedora). I have
since
learned that this problem is unavoidable because of the Plasma
release
cycle, when the previous (non-LTS) release immediately stops being
supported; this forces an update mid-cycle to a new Plasma and
glitches can happen.

I am looking at trying again, but can I somehow freeze all Plasma
packages, while not disabling updates for all other stuff? I know
what
"dnf versionlock" is, but how do I create a correct list for it?

The idea would be to freeze Plasma packages in advance of a Plasma
version update and unfreeze a month after the new version goes into
Fedora, watching for critical security issues in the meantime.

I am having weird lockups with nvidia driver.  Need to use the
binary
source for some apps I use.  Machine is not 100% frozen as I can ssh
in
and make a clean shutdown.

I am using Xorg still.

It only seems to happen when playing videos in full screen on one
monitor.

I do have some issues when switching between sessions as I have
multiple
users logged in at one time and all the time.  If I use Plasma
desktop,
I end up with a KWIN using 100% of a CPU.  I have not had time to
worry
about it yet.  Going to wait to update to F33 first.

I am concerned about KDE stability at present.  Many little things
adding up to a major headache.

what nvidia do you have ? I don't remember any freeze problem in many
months or years .
Now problems and freezes with old nvidia cards I got some , in a old
laptop I need to use kernel 4.14 TLS ...

GeForce GTX 960

Only seems to happen when using one of two monitors for full screen video. nVidia driver goes to 100%.

Also having issues with switching between users and sddm but I am waiting to upgrade to 33 to try to debug.

I have many problem with the present iteration of KDE on Fedora but waiting for F33 on this computer.

--
Save money, use Open Source Software.

Free Office Suite at
     http://www.libreoffice.org