Re: Btrfs for Fedora desktop variants

On Wed, Jun 24, 2020 at 1:54 AM Mattia Verga
<mattia.verga@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> Il 23/06/20 20:23, Neal Gompa ha scritto:
> > Hey all,

> Have BTRFS performances increased to a decent level? Last time I checked
> they were terrible compared to EXT4 and looking at some phoronix
> articles dated 2019 they still are.

Throughput on average has climbed to levels similar to ext4, and
depending on the setup may reach xfs levels or higher. Latency (time
to start doing I/O operations) is still sluggish in benchmarks, but
that is improving as well.

My personal experience is that desktop and developer workloads should
not have issues. In fact, performance may improve significantly if
transparent compression with zstd is turned on. And there's further
benefits if you're on SSD media.

> I had adopted BTRFS when it was firstly introduced in Fedora and then
> switched back to EXT4 some years ago when I read some articles that
> claimed "btrfs is dead"... (for example
> https://www.qnap.com/solution/qnap-ext4/en-us/ claims "Red Hat stops
> using btrfs"...)

I don't think QNAP actually understands how the storage works? Their
reasoning makes no sense.

With regard to snapshots, you can put those anywhere, including
another disk. It is true that making a snapshot will store it on the
same volume, but it also takes up no additional space to do that, and
you can send it to an offsite location trivially with "btrfs send".

As far as block based data transfer goes, "btrfs send" is an efficient
extent/block delta transfer of what's on the source volume vs the
destination volume. It's probably one of the most efficient ways to
backup a disk. And you can do "btrfs receive" to another computer over
a network of a send stream.

Red Hat stopped shipping Btrfs because they had no people to support
the tech preview anymore. I don't work for Red Hat, so I don't know
what they'll do in the future. But from my point of view, I don't
think they'd change anything unless we did it in Fedora first anyway.
Btrfs is heavily used by several companies: Facebook, Oracle, SUSE,
and Synology are the main ones I'm aware of (in terms of seeing
contributions to the kernel and offering products/services using
Btrfs).