Re: Btrfs for Fedora desktop variants

> Thank you for the clarifications and explanations.  That helped calm me down.
> I will admit, I'm still nervous, and will try it out on machines I can
> easily wipe clean again.  But I did that when XFS was becoming default
> as well.

Josef, one of the btrfs maintainers helping out with this change, considers ext4, xfs, and btrfs in the same realm of reliability. That is in normal operation.

And you're right to wonder: well what if it's not normal? What does the fallout look like? Is it more fragile?  We're used to a particular pattern with ext4, and that pattern will change with btrfs. But I expect these details will come up in the inevitable devel@ fireside chit chat. If someone doesn't ask, you should.

We'll also have to document the differences and recommendations, should the change happen (this isn't a certainty, the community will have to want the change, and help bring it about - whether one person or a dozen listed on a change proposal - it's not enough to make it successful).

Mainly the idea of this preview of the change proposal is if folks familiar with btrfs in KDE have some benefits/concerns stories that are KDE specific.

> I still hope that someone will talk to whomever the right person is to
> get btrfs back into RHEL.

Yeah I can't really speak to that because I don't know anything about it. My focus is on what's best for the Fedora community as a whole. And in this thread, what's best for KDE users specifically, because likely there's some benefits/concerns that are KDE specific that I haven't thought of.

--
Chris Murphy