Plasma freezing

F29 updated.

For the last couple of days I've turned on my monitor in the morning to
find Plasma unresponsive, i.e. clicking on the bottom panel does
nothing, neither does right-clicking on the background.

The machine is left on at night (not suspended or hibernating, just the
monitor turned off), and today the clock widget shows a frozen time of
4:55am. Nothing is running overnight except the DE and my backup
software (rsnapshot) which does run at around that time though it has
been doing that for years without issue and according to the logs
completed on time as usual.

'killall -s SIGSEGV plasmashell' (which in the past would kick it into
restarting) is ineffective. Maybe the magic incantation has changed,
but as none of this stuff is documented in man pages I don't know.

'kill <PID>' does kill it, but how do I run it again without logging
out? Simply running plasmashell from the command line does put up the
widget panel but it's still frozen, and the command never returns.

poc