Re: Red Hat deprecates KDE on RHEL

On Mon, Nov 5, 2018 at 9:20 PM Steven Haigh <netwiz@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> On 6/11/18 12:11 pm, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> > Steven Haigh wrote:
> >> I'm not sure why people are making a fuss.
> >>
> >> This is exactly what RH has been doing for a long time - shifting
> >> everything they don't want to support directly into EPEL.
> >
> > The thing is, each time they do this, they reduce the value of the support
> > contract. What use is the support contract if even the desktop environment
> > you use is not supported? Why would you even bother getting one over just
> > using CentOS for free? Or even Debian, for that matter?
> Same arguments I had when RHEL7 was released. People have forgotten this
> however.
>
> I guess RH see it as focussing on the core that the majority use - and
> it becomes 'self support' for the stuff via EPEL.
>
> If you need corporate support, you'll switch to Gnome. RH will give you
> better support for it. It reduces the massive scope that RH currently
> support to allow them to focus on the important things[*].
>
> I think this comes down a lot to the mindset that RHEL is a server
> distro. If they have to support a desktop, they want the one they have
> the most resources for.
>

> * What you and I think is important may not be the same as RH, which
> will follow the money for their existing customers.

The thing with these deprecations is that they're easy enough to
revisit, provided that customers actually request it. Usually, a
deprecation notice like this is the start of a conversation, not the
end of one. If you treat it as the end of a conversation, it becomes a
self-fulfilling prophecy and it goes away, _despite_ potential demand.
The only deprecations in the RHEL 7 release notes that are probably
not arguable are the ones related to software being EOL upstream. The
rest? They're always up for discussion.

At the core of it, if customers say they don't like this particular
deprecation, the notice would go away in a following point release's
release notes.