Re: Red Hat deprecates KDE on RHEL

On 6/11/18 12:11 pm, Kevin Kofler wrote:
> Steven Haigh wrote:
>> I'm not sure why people are making a fuss.
>>
>> This is exactly what RH has been doing for a long time - shifting
>> everything they don't want to support directly into EPEL.
>
> The thing is, each time they do this, they reduce the value of the support
> contract. What use is the support contract if even the desktop environment
> you use is not supported? Why would you even bother getting one over just
> using CentOS for free? Or even Debian, for that matter?
Same arguments I had when RHEL7 was released. People have forgotten this
however.

I guess RH see it as focussing on the core that the majority use - and
it becomes 'self support' for the stuff via EPEL.

If you need corporate support, you'll switch to Gnome. RH will give you
better support for it. It reduces the massive scope that RH currently
support to allow them to focus on the important things[*].

I think this comes down a lot to the mindset that RHEL is a server
distro. If they have to support a desktop, they want the one they have
the most resources for.

* What you and I think is important may not be the same as RH, which
will follow the money for their existing customers.

--
Steven Haigh

📧 netwiz@xxxxxxxxx       💻 https://www.crc.id.au
📞 +61 (3) 9001 6090      📱 0412 935 897