Re: Latest K desktop update causes system hangs

Terry Barnaby ha scritto:

> Yes, the latest KDE5/Plasma is horrendously inefficient when it comes boot
> times due to disk access requirements. With a spinning HDD system boot times
> are really bad (minutes). A SSD helps this but obviously the issue is really
> in KDE5/Plasma. With this aspect improved systems would be so much faster
> better even with SSD's. I suspect the use of the QtQuick (QtSlow!) technology
> is to blame reading loads of small files describing GUI interface parts rather
> than just using C++. With a standard fast HDD, a 3 GHz quad core i5 type
> machine takes much longer to boot than an old 400 MHz single core Pentium
> Laptop with 256 MBytes of RAM and an slow 2.5inch HDD running an old Fedora
> with KDE3. The price of bad software "progress".

I think that a blank statement like "QtQuick produces the slow startup" should
be backed by some statement, not just by "I think".

For example, I remember some time ago a set of patches in few libraries part
of Frameworks to improve the lookup of the icons, which was hitting the
startup of same applications, and it was not related to QtQuick or QtWidgets.
This is to underline the fact that "tons of small files" may not be the
problem, especially because they can be put together in a resource file.

--
Luigi