Re: Latest K desktop update causes system hangs

On 11/16/2017 06:18 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:
On 11/17/17 05:09, Temlakos wrote:
This morning I took the upgrade--all 100-odd parts of it. And ever since then, I
cannot afford to leave my system on for more than an hour--two hours at the
outside--without having it get progressively slower and then hang up. I've had to
force-shutdown my system and restart it to get anything done. I've tried reverting
to the "last known good kernel." No joy. The desktop is now at fault.

I wouldn't know where to begin for filing a bug--what do I file the bug against?
All I know is--it's going to take another K desktop upgrade to fix this. Until
then, I'm running my system only intermittently.

My oldest system is an "Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU 1.66GHz".  It was running F26 with
an HDD consistently slow.  I replaced the HDD with a SDD and performance improved
markedly.  I have since upgraded to F27 and have no issues.  The system is up 24/7.

I suppose you need to start by using "top" or a similar utility to see what process
may be taking up resources.

Well, first that doesn't explain why the system went flaky with the last KDE update and was doing just fine before.

Also--and this might strike you as somewhat old-fashioned an outlook--no one has ever explained to me why SDD's are non-volatile. Are they volatile or non-volatile? Or am I missing something? And what is the maximum capacity of an SDD, and how exactly do I manage to replace it?

Temlakos