Re: Latest K desktop update causes system hangs

On 17/11/17 16:11, Kevin Kofler wrote:
Terry Barnaby wrote:
Yes, the latest KDE5/Plasma is horrendously inefficient when it comes
boot times due to disk access requirements. With a spinning HDD system
boot times are really bad (minutes). A SSD helps this but obviously the
issue is really in KDE5/Plasma. With this aspect improved systems would
be so much faster better even with SSD's. I suspect the use of the
QtQuick (QtSlow!) technology is to blame reading loads of small files
describing GUI interface parts rather than just using C++. With a
standard fast HDD, a 3 GHz quad core i5 type machine takes much longer
to boot than an old 400 MHz single core Pentium Laptop with 256 MBytes
of RAM and an slow 2.5inch HDD running an old Fedora with KDE3. The
price of bad software "progress".
I agree wholeheartedly, this is really sad.

I have been complaining about everincreasing bloat and abuse of slow
interpreted languages (such as Q-M-Hell) for years now, but it looks like
the developers just don't care. :-(

         Kevin Kofler

Also just think of the wasted electrical energy all of this bad software design/implementation is using when multiplied by the number of systems out there, not just KDE5/Plasma. Software developers need to be considering this much more these days. About time for a trash of all the now complex development approaches/languages/systems back to square one with new simpler languages/development methods/OS's me thinks :)