Re: F26: Konqueror

On Friday, 22 September 2017 17:31:58 CEST Reindl Harald wrote:
> Am 22.09.2017 um 17:15 schrieb Luigi Toscano:

> >> you sound like a upstream developer
> >

> > I am a primarly a member of the KDE community.
>

> and i am a user which don't care how someone now calls the pieces -
> frankly i am a KDE user starting with version 1.0 and that is very long ago

You are not the only long time user, and calling things with their proper name
is important.

> >> which one? where is it located?
> >

> > ~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/bookmarks.xml
> > The new location is ~/.local/share/konqueror/bookmarks.xml
>

> thanks, at least the main-bookmarks are back, no idea how to restore the
> sidebar which had the most important smb-servers and so on but since
> kio-slaves are completly broken it don't matter that much

Are you talking about the toolbar or the sidebar?
The sidebar is gone. The porting was not trivial (it needed a rewrite, still
using the non-MVC architecture pre-Qt4) and it was probably "wait forever
until it's ported, or release Konqueror without".

> >> and then you guys wonder why Linux don't reach the desktop?
> >>

> >> i develop software for 15 years now and the codebase don't share a
> >> single line *but* never a user lost any configuration because it's
> >> really so easy take the code dealing with the old configuration, read it
> >> and write it into a new format (if that's needed at all)
> >

> > Some changes are expected in a major version bump.
> > Most applications migrated the content; the toolbar disposition is a
> > different issue.
>

> but i have simply enough from the fact that you need to fear that after
> every upgrade customizations you have done years ago and included
> blindly in your workflow diesappear

It's a case-by-case thing. I agree that some more porting can be added when
possible (which is not always the case).

> >> bla - obviously Konqueror does not have any KIO support at all
> >>

> >> [root@srv-rhsoft:~]$ rpm -qa | grep -i kio-extras
> >> kio-extras-16.12.3-1.fc26.x86_64
> >

> > What I said is true and correct; kio-sftp support is in kio-extras.
>

> and what i said is true, it is installed and Konqueror says
> "ERR_UNKNOWN_URL_SCHEME" while dolphin is too dumb read the host/port
> settings from ssh-configs or the kio-slave in F26 is just buggy while it
> worked (at least at that point) better the last years
>
> for smb:// it yells in german about a internal error
>
> thank's for rewrite the sftp-kioslave years ago instead use the openssh
> tools, we suffer 7 years or so later over basic things not working
> (ciphers, cipher-preferences and when the first one is not known by
> libssh2 nothing orks instead like openssh just try the next one)

Again, WORKSFORME. Nothing to do with how the internal is structured.

> > That said, I'm using kio-extras 17.04, but there are no relevant
> > differences  with 16.12 by looking at the code.
>

> F25 was fine

F25 had both components based on kdelibs4; KDE Applications 16.12 has
Frameworks 5 versions for both konqueror and kio-extras.

> >> no, that's because upstream decided with *KDE5 period* that there are
> >> now *two* wallets for KF4/KF5 applications instead have one storage
> >> broker and wrappers for both worlds so that things are interchangeable
> >

> > The then maintainer of KWallet had a problem with supporting the old
> > format in a reliable way while migrating to Frameworks 5. This was
> > solved with a really recent version of Frameworks, which can read the old
> > wallet, thanks to the contribution of a Gentoo packager.
>

> the don't release major updates - problem is that the KDE community has
> *nothing* learned from the KDE3->KDE4 disaster and i fear the same will
> happen when QT6 is out

Let's retalk about this in few years. This has nothing to do with KDE3->KDE4
(which mostly kept the same paths for data), really.

> >> i miss to see the "plus" when 90% of my daily workflow is now broken
> >>

> >> the "plus" until today was that nobody touched Konqueror to "make it
> >> better"
>

> > The plus was that something was done. If nothing would have been done,
> > you
> > would have still complained that it was abandoned
>

> after 10 years Linux only on my dekstop i start to prefer abanoned
> software which just works and is not "optimized to dead" every few weeks
> while the crazy guys forom the fedora workstation SIG would prefer to
> hide anything which don't get every 2 weeks a useless update and new
> shiny icons

This is not about matter of "optimized", it was a problem of basic "it's
broken".

> > I mean, really, what is the solution? That the old maintainer (who is
> > taking care of what most people can take humanly care already) should
> > have been chained to a chair to work on Konqueror? No one stepped up,
> > there was some work to finally at least port it. That's it
>

> i have no perfect solution *but damned* replace the working KF4 version
> by a hlaf baken "port" is none

So better drop it, I guess?

--
Luigi