Re: F26: Konqueror

Am 22.09.2017 um 17:15 schrieb Luigi Toscano:
On Friday, 22 September 2017 17:02:43 CEST Reindl Harald wrote:
Am 22.09.2017 um 16:52 schrieb Luigi Toscano:

On Friday, 22 September 2017 16:42:14 CEST Reindl Harald wrote:

fine, now it's "ported" to KDE5

I will continue to repeat it, but it's due: there is *no* KDE5. It was
ported to Qt5 and Frameworks 5.

you sound like a upstream developer

I am a primarly a member of the KDE community.

and i am a user which don't care how someone now calls the pieces - frankly i am a KDE user starting with version 1.0 and that is very long ago

* no bookmarks

Do you mean "no import of old bookmarks"? Because support for bookmark is
available
See below for the answer of "why the import was not added"
(not an excuse, but you can copy manually the xbel file)

which one? where is it located?

~/.kde/share/apps/konqueror/bookmarks.xml
The new location is ~/.local/share/konqueror/bookmarks.xml

thanks, at least the main-bookmarks are back, no idea how to restore the sidebar which had the most important smb-servers and so on but since kio-slaves are completly broken it don't matter that much

* no toolbar settings from the previous install

I don't think that any application kept this in the migration.

and then you guys wonder why Linux don't reach the desktop?

i develop software for 15 years now and the codebase don't share a
single line *but* never a user lost any configuration because it's
really so easy take the code dealing with the old configuration, read it
and write it into a new format (if that's needed at all)

Some changes are expected in a major version bump.
Most applications migrated the content; the toolbar disposition is a different
issue.

but i have simply enough from the fact that you need to fear that after every upgrade customizations you have done years ago and included blindly in your workflow diesappear

* no support for sftp://

It's not provided by Konqueror; install kio-extras.

bla - obviously Konqueror does not have any KIO support at all

[root@srv-rhsoft:~]$ rpm -qa | grep -i kio-extras
kio-extras-16.12.3-1.fc26.x86_64

What I said is true and correct; kio-sftp support is in kio-extras.

and what i said is true, it is installed and Konqueror says "ERR_UNKNOWN_URL_SCHEME" while dolphin is too dumb read the host/port settings from ssh-configs or the kio-slave in F26 is just buggy while it worked (at least at that point) better the last years

for smb:// it yells in german about a internal error

thank's for rewrite the sftp-kioslave years ago instead use the openssh tools, we suffer 7 years or so later over basic things not working (ciphers, cipher-preferences and when the first one is not known by libssh2 nothing orks instead like openssh just try the next one)

That said, I'm using kio-extras 17.04, but there are no relevant differences
with 16.12 by looking at the code.

F25 was fine

* no passwords for network-locations previously used

That's a KWallet migration issue, I guess.

no, that's because upstream decided with *KDE5 period* that there are
now *two* wallets for KF4/KF5 applications instead have one storage
broker and wrappers for both worlds so that things are interchangeable

The then maintainer of KWallet had a problem with supporting the old format in
a reliable way while migrating to Frameworks 5. This was solved with a really
recent version of Frameworks, which can read the old wallet, thanks to the
contribution of a Gentoo packager.

the don't release major updates - problem is that the KDE community has *nothing* learned from the KDE3->KDE4 disaster and i fear the same will happen when QT6 is out

WTF is wrong with the KDE developers attitude that the main question due
every upgrde is "curious what they broke now from my workflow"

Konqueror was not developed. The fact that it was ported was already a
plus. And unless someone will step to maintain it, it's going to be
replaced by Falkon.

i miss to see the "plus" when 90% of my daily workflow is now broken

the "plus" until today was that nobody touched Konqueror to "make it better"

The plus was that something was done. If nothing would have been done, you
would have still complained that it was abandoned

after 10 years Linux only on my dekstop i start to prefer abanoned software which just works and is not "optimized to dead" every few weeks while the crazy guys forom the fedora workstation SIG would prefer to hide anything which don't get every 2 weeks a useless update and new shiny icons

I mean, really, what is the solution? That the old maintainer (who is taking
care of what most people can take humanly care already) should have been
chained to a chair to work on Konqueror? No one stepped up, there was some
work to finally at least port it. That's it

i have no perfect solution *but damned* replace the working KF4 version by a hlaf baken "port" is none