Re: konqueror

On 07/27/2017 08:07 AM, Luigi Toscano wrote:
> Il 27 luglio 2017 16:55:23 CEST, Kevin Kofler <kevin.kofler@xxxxxxxxx> ha scritto:
>> Luigi Toscano wrote:
>>> No patches and there are reasons.
>>
>> This "no patches" mentality needs to stop. We are not Slackware. If
>> upstream
>> makes a mistake and refuses to fix it, we need to fix it downstream.
>
> This is not a mistake.
>>
>> OpenSUSE has working patches and ships them out of the box. Please
>> apply
>> their patches.
>
> OpenSUSE will remove the patches at some point.
>>
>>> Focus on the feature and the ongoing work to improve it.
>>
>> What feature? KAuth integration? It is no replacement because it does
>> not
>> work if you are in a rescue session that runs entirely as root.
>
> Running an entire graphical session as root is no go.
>
>> And it also
>> does not address the critical usability bug that the error message is
>> not
>> discoverable because it is printed only to stdout, which goes nowhere
>> in
>> most cases (kdesu eats it entirely by default), instead of bringing up
>> a GUI
>> dialog.
>>

> This can be addressed but not reverting the change.

Did you read anywhere in this thread that there is a need to run a GUI as root?  Not you didn't.

Those of us that are "complaining" are "power users" (not noobs) and are only looking to be productive.  By assuming that we all need to operate at some nonsensical lowest common denominator, you have seriously reduced our productivity.

I personally resent being told how to operate.  If that was OK with me I'd still be using windows.

Sure, make it impossible to start the GUI as root.  I haven't done that since RH 4.  However, I do need to interact with system level files as part of getting my work done, and the latest changes to the GUI (KDE) I use to get work done is now working against me.

Because someone wants to protect noobs?

Emmett