Re: [F25] only black screen with KDE Plasma session

On Friday, 23 June 2017 16:52:32 IDT Frédéric Bron wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Since this morning, after loging in on a Plasma KDE session, I can
> first see the desktop then only a black screen with only the mouse
> available, nothing else.
> Ctrl+Alt+Suppr, brings the log out screen so I can log out.
> I can also switch to a text terminal with Ctrl+Alt+F2. That's all.

Workaround (did it many times when plasmashell crashed in the past):
 * You can use Alt+F2 to open krunner dialog (normally tiny at the top).
 * Than type "plasmashell" + Enter and it should run.
 * Even if it crash again, you should be able to use the same method
   for running konsole and have further debugging lead.

> On the fedora users mailing list, we identified that it is due to
> plasmashell crash.
> With a newly created user, I get the same problem.
>
> Here is the content of .xsession-errors after the crash:
> xset:  bad font path element (#2), possible causes are:
>     Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
>     Directory missing fonts.dir
>     Incorrect font server address or syntax
> startkde: Starting up...
>
> vmware-user: could not open /proc/fs/vmblock/dev
> Already running
> abrt-applet: Impossible d'afficher la notification :
> GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
> org.freedesktop.Notifications was not provided b>
> abrt-applet: Impossible d'afficher la notification :
> GDBus.Error:org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.ServiceUnknown: The name
> org.freedesktop.Notifications was not provided b>
> KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/bin/plasmashell from kdeinit
> KCrash: Application 'plasmashell' crashing...
> KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/libexec/drkonqi from kdeinit
>

> setenforce 0 did not help.
>
> And this is what I see if I boot in level 3 and run startx from the terminal:
>
> xauth: file /home/fred/.serverauth.1393 does not exist
>
> X.Org X Server 1.19.3
> Release Date: 2017-03-15
> xf86EnableIOPorts: failed to set IOPL for I/O (Operation not permitted)
>   xset: bad font path element (#2), possible causes are:
>     Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
>       Directory missing fonts.dir
>         Incorrect font server address or syntax
>           startkde: Starting up...
>             dbus-update-activation-environment: warning: error sending
> to systemd: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.Spawn.ChildExited: Process
> org.freedesktop.systemd1 exited with status 1
> vmware-user: could not open /proc
> .KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/bin/kdeinit5 from
> kdeinitsock_file=/run/user/1000/kdeinit5__0
> Warning: conncect() failed: : No such file or directory
> KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/bin/kdeinit5 directly
> KCrash: Applicatino 'kdeinit5' crashing...
> kdeinit5: Communication error with launcher. Exiting!
> .KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/libexec/drkonqi from kdeinit
> (II) Server terminated successfully (0). Closing log file.
> Warning: connect() failed: : Connection refused
> KCrash: Attempting to start /usr/libexec/drkonqi directly

Oron Peled                                 Voice: +972-4-8228492

"In theory, it's practical. In practice - it's only a theory".