Re: multi screen issues

Thanks, I'll try the kill / restart script

On 12/09/2016 05:24 PM, Ed Greshko wrote:

On 12/10/16 07:43, ProPAAS DBA wrote:
I'm running Fedora 24 KDE spin on a thinkpad X1 carbon 4th gen laptop. I have 2 external
monitors and most often they work well, I plug one into the hdmi port and a second via a
vga adapter into the laptop's mini display port.

More and more often I'm having issues when I plug in the external monitors. The menu &
taskbar/panel jumps around asI plug in the monitors. I want this to stay on the laptop.
Even though the display settings shows the laptop as the primary screen

Sometimes one of the external monitors will show up with no background, I can move the
mouse to it and I can drag windows to it but I cannot
right click on the background and get a menu.

I've even tried manually controlling the monitors via xrandr, the last time I had issues
my panel moved to a secondary monitor, xrandr reported that the laptop was indeed still
set as the primary, running "xrandr --output eDP-1 --primary" had no effect. I generally
have to reboot 5 or 6 times to get the external monitors to behave. Sometimes I actually
have to remove my .config directory before it will work.

Can anyone help me debug this?
Debug?  No.  Share in your misery?  Sure.  :-)

Even though I have a desktop with only two monitors I sometimes run into issues as you may
have guessed from my earlier post.  The next time I have my most prominent problem I'll
have to see if I can find the right xrandr incantation to get it back.

As far as the "blank background" issue goes, I get that from time to time and have a small
script to kill and restart plasmashell which gets it working again.  The script simply does...

kquitapp plasmashell
plasmashell &