Re: Default Browser Voting - and apparent inconsistency with mission statement

On Thu, Aug 11, 2016 at 11:51 PM, Mustafa Muhammad <mustafa1024m@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
QupZilla does not use KDE based technologies, it uses Qt technologies,
KDE is using Qt technologies, but Qt doesn't use KDE's.

It integrates better, but so does Chromium.

That's a distinction without a difference.  Qt and KDE are inextricably linked.  That was my point.
We can get into a semantics discussion but only obfuscates the point at hand.

> That tells me that all things considered, if there is a browser that uses
> these technologies, and is
> functional - that it should be favored over other contenders - unless there
> is a complelling reason.
> Unless I'm missing something, I don't see that "compelling reason".
> Personal preference
> does NOT outweigh a mission statement.

Even if QupZilla used KDE based technologies (it does not), the
compelling reason is add-ons and extensions, most people I know use
them.
The subject isn't about browser personal preference.  It's about the choice
of a default.

> What am I missing here?  From an outsider looking in, it appears that
> everyone is voting based
> upon different criteria and not adhering to the mission statement.  Voting
> members have a
> responsibility to be consistent and objective.
>
> Mission statements exist to provide clarity, direction and to hold decision
> makers accountable.

I argued above that Qupzilla is just like Chromium and Firefox for the
mission statement, all don't go against it, because there is no
supported KDE browser.

Well, officially Konqueror is the official KDE browser, so that we're getting into
a bit of circular logic here.

The SIG should provide new users with the best experience possible out
of the box, and most users want Firefox or Chrome, one of the main
reason is trust, another one is extensions.
Some people want to use the browser only for browsing, but most people
want extensions.

People are going to use whatever browser they wish, regardless of whatever default
is declared.  Personal preference isn't the point.  By that definition we should start evaluating
Evolution against KMail, Uget against KGet, Gedit against Kate.