Re: proposing chromium as default browser (for f25+)

On 08/07/2016 03:12 PM, Neal Gompa wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 7, 2016 at 9:03 AM, Rex Dieter <rdieter@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
>> Neal Gompa wrote:
>>
>>> My biggest concern among all the choices is the multimedia support.
>>> Fedora cannot ship a full-featured codec stack in any of its spins due
>>> to various legal issues.
>> Means, it's not an issue specific to any browser (they all suffer
>> similarly), so probably will be a minor issue in *this* decision-making,
>> imo.
>>
> That's not quite true. For example, Chromium is built with a bundled
> custom ffmpeg, and it's not split out into its own subpackage, meaning
> that there's no way to replace it without having to rebuild all of
> Chromium. Chromium is hard to build and harder for users to build.
>
> Since we don't have a system-wide ffmpeg package, I assume we have the
> same problem with QtWebEngine, too. That affects every QtWebEngine
> based browser.

Well, for QtWebEngine it should be possible to add a nonfree version to
rpmfusion. No need to rebuilt QupZilla. Already tested locally. We just
have to find a way to coexist with Fedora package.

>>> How do the browsers compare for the Fedora user who wants to get more
>> codec support himself?
>>
>> That said, firefox (or any browser utilizing gstreamer) has a slight edge
>> here, due to
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/OpenH264
>>
>> but that's still not great nor a 100% solution, outside of using patented
>> stuff from rpmfusion.org.
> As of Fedora 24, Firefox does not use GStreamer. The Mozilla community
> decided to remove it. Apparently, no one thought it was any good.
>
> I seem to recall that QtWebKit could be used with GStreamer. Do we
> have any web browsers that use QtWebKit, Qt5, and GStreamer?

Yes, there is otter-browser. But QtWebKit is obsolete and lacks several
security fixes. I read about a fork of QtWebKit some weeks ago, but
nothing official (yet?).

Greetings,
Christian