F23 KDE stability issues

Apologies if you've already seen this note which I previously sent to
the general Fedora list.

I'll be the first to admit that I don't use Fedora in a conventional
way. But it suits me -- or it did until things started misbehaving a few
weeks ago. Now I'm finally disgusted enough to write some notes and hope
for good advice.

I run F23 with the KDE desktop in what used to be called runlevel 3. I
delete rhgb and quiet from /etc/default/grub and start X using startx
because I like to see what happens during boot. I hate systems that try
to hide what is really happening. Once KDE is running, I use eight
desktops with several windows on each one, most of them XTerms with
active SSH sessions to other machines. When I leave my desk, I lock the
screen (using the default KDE locker as configured with System Settings)
but I disable locking based on inactivity. As long as this works, I'm happy.

But it doesn't work reliably for the last few weeks. If I'm away from my
desk for more than a few minutes, the lock screen is frozen when I
return. I can't unlock. I can switch to a different virtual terminal and
kill X, but if I then try to restart X using startx again, it doesn't
come up properly. No windows appear, no panels, and neither the keyboard
nor the mouse do anything except move the cursor. I have to fall back to
rebooting.

When I reboot and startx again, things start up as they should. Except
that all my previous windows are on the first desktop, overlapping like
crazy. Moving them where they should be is very annoying and tedious. I
have to do this at least once per day, sometimes more often. It's not
just a matter of rearranging the windows, I also have to re-establish
all the SSH sessions. And, of course, any active commands that were
running were terminated so I may have some clean-up to do, also.

My machine is completely up-to-date with the latest Fedora. Even the
kernel is up-to-date due to the frequent reboots. The F23 was not an
upgrade, it was originally installed fresh using the workstation image
(but choosing KDE, not Gnome).
--
Dave Close