Re: kde Digest, Vol 91, Issue 1

On 2016-06-05 16:10:19, kde-request@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:

======quoted message from Florian Sievert <caleb@xxxxxxxxxx>, subject "Re: Plasma won't wake up after sleep. Black screen with cursor."======
> Hi,
> > At least twice this week when I woke up my system from sleep instead
> > of lock screen I am presented with black screen and cursor. There is
> > no way for me to get back to working system except go to tty and
> > restart sddm or reboot system. Htop doesn't seem to show any obvious
> > culprit. This is highly undesirable as I keep losing my unsaved
> work.
> I encouter this as well a few times recently, seems to be related to
> some of the latest updates. For some reason "plasmashell" seems to
> crash
> sometimes. This can be pretty painful if krunner is crashed as well
> (and
> feels like always...). So try press "ALT+F2" and run "kquitapp
> plasmashell & plasmashall" or try to get into a console and launch the
> command there. After a few seconds the desktop shall be there as
> normal,
> even tho these crashs are extremly nasty...

[SNIP]

Florian's description of "black scrren and cursor" sounds like text
mode, not an x-windows dispaly.

That being said, I don't get that problem, and I never put my system
to the sleep/hibernate state - but I get what sounds like something
simlar in principle at least once per day and often as many as 4-6
times in a day when I unlock the screen.

To me the worst part is when the screen is unlocked and this happens,
there is (of course) no panel, and all I can see is the black screen
with whatever windows were open when I locked the screen.  Any windows
which were iconized when I locked it are impossible to get to.

    ASIDE: +I don't know whether it's related or not, but frequently
    (possibly always, although I don't always keep top running somewhere
    to determine whether this is the case) before this happens I'll
    notice a krunner process which is using extremely large of amounts
    cpu (>100% for more than a few seconds).  That causes me to wonder
    whether something in krunner gets caught in a loop.

Sometimes I use the same sequence as Florian ("kquitapp plasmashell &
plasmashall") but it doesn't always work.

FWIW I also get FREQUENT error message boxes telling me that this
or that kde component has crashed.  Sometimes I believe they have;
however, more often a search of /var/log and/or /var/account/pacct
does not record the crash and I suspect some other glitch in kde5 is
causing a false error message.

I've been using the KDE desktop on virtually every machine where I
have a login for longer than I can remember, and the many glitches in
kde5 make me long for the stability, usefulness, and configurability
of kde4.

- wwa

--
william w. austin                                     airedad@xxxxxxx
"life is just another phase i'm going through. this time, anyway ..."