Re: konsole hangs when started from desktop background menu

Roderick Johnstone <rmj@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote on 05.01.2016 11:30:15:

> Since the last update to plasma on Fedora 22, when I try to start
> konsole by right clicking on the desktop background and selecting
> 'konsole' it opens a konsole window but that window contains only a
> screenshot of what was under the window when it was created! (The bar at
> the top of the window says Konsole and the konsole icon is in the top
> left corner of the bar).

Same issue here -- it appeared exactly when I had upgraded to
both Plasma 5.5.0 and KDE frameworks 5.17 on Dec 17, 2015.
The problem was not fixed by any F22 updates until Jan 3, 2016.

> If I start konsole from the kickoff menu or from my panel launcher
> button konsole opens normally and after that subsequent launches from
> the desktop right-click menu work, but my first stuck konsole is still
> stuck with the screenshot.

The bug is 100% reproducible on my system:

- First konsole opened is broken exactly as described by Roderick.
  I should add that this konsole window is not responsive
  to keyboard input either.
- Second konsole opened works just fine
- Third konsole opened works just fine
- After closing all konsole instances, the first konsole opened again has
the problem

Behavior is exactly the same regardless of whether I start konsole
from the kickoff menu, the launcher, or from a shortcut on the panel.

This is on a laptop with LVDS and external monitor (intel + nouveau
drivers),
but I doubt the presence of the external monitor is "triggering" the
problem
(I haven't tried LVDS only).

Compositor Settings:
  Rendering backend: XRender