Re: Creating a LiveKDE USB stick

Emilio Recio wrote:

> Make sure that you haven't overwritten the MBR. You will need to copy
> the boot bin info via DD. That's bitten me many of times on USB Keys.

I've not had that problem lately.
But I have occasionally found it impossible to format a USB stick
under Fedora, and have had to boot into Windows to do this.

There does not seem to be a proper USB formatting program under Linux.
In my experience it is usually, but not always, possible to do this
using fdisk or gparted.

The whole approach of Fedora to USB is baffling to me.
It seems to be assumed that users will use CDs or DVDs -
both in my view semi-obsolete today.
I suspect that most computers intended for use as servers
don't even have DVD readers nowadays.

It reminds me a little of floppy drives,
which continued to appear in boot programs
long after they had disappeared in real life.

Surely it is time to make USB sticks the default medium?

>>> It should not matter which ISO you are using, at least not for desktop
>>> environment, unless the KDE spin is doing something crazy at the low
>>> levels of the stack. Using the Gnome instructions should work fine, but
>>> if you copy-paste said instructions then we can sanity-check them.

>> Here are the explicit instructions:
>>
>> 1. Download a Fedora image, choose a USB stick
>>     that does not contain any data you need, and connect it
>> 2. Run Nautilus (Files) - for instance, open the Overview
>>     by pressing the Start/Super key, and type Files, then hit enter
>> 3. Find the downloaded image, right-click on it, go to Open With,
>>     and click Disk Image Writer
>> 4. Double-check you're really, really sure you don't need
>>     any of the data on the USB stick!
>> 5. Select your USB stick as the Destination, and click Start Restoring...
>> 6. Wait for the operation to complete, then reboot your computer,
>>     and do whatever you need to do to boot from a USB stick -
>>     often this will involve pressing or holding down F12, F2 or Del.
> emergent or urgent health care matters.

The person who offered to provide a KDE equivalent
seems to have forgotten their offer ...

--
Timothy Murphy
gayleard /at/ eircom.net