Re: Can't log out of KDE -- "Malformed URL"

On 12/12/15 11:03 AM, Reindl Harald wrote:

Am 12.12.2015 um 11:26 schrieb Dariusz J. Garbowski:
Ok, so after today's update I can't log out of KDE, nor can I execute
"Lock", "New session", "Suspend", "Restart", "Shutdown". An unhelpful
dialog with "Malformed URL" message pops up and I am given a choice to
"OK" it or... I don't know, close with window "close" widget.

This is unacceptable.

Not being able to logout is a security issue and possible threat to
filesystem integrity if the user has to "hard reset" by pressing the
reset/power button

while i agree to the other rant when you need the power button just because you can't log out from
whatever desktop on a Linux system the problem is in front of the screen

* CTRL+ALT+F2
* Enter "root"
* Enter password for root
* systemctl restart display-manager.service

I wasn't aware of display-manager.service (one learns a new thing every day...) so I would have ended up using reboot command. But this just isn't right -- what do I need DE for if even "logout"-replacement has to be done from command line, as root! I wanted to wait and see if there's something suggested to debug or diagnose the issue.

and frankly you should run large updates including KDE anyways in a VT and not within the grapcial
user session (at least as long as KDE5 is in general unstable like hell)

As much as I agree considering the sorry state of KDE5, this is perhaps acceptable for Alpha quality software with big release notes listing known issues and workarounds. As KDE5 goes, it's apparently what is considered release quality...

BTW: in better days CTRL+ALT+BACKSPACE just killed the graphical sesssion until some fools declared
it as a security problem because some foreigner could do that while you locked your session (that
foreigner could press the power button too)

Couldn't agree more. As a poor replacement I usually end up on VT with killall XOrg...

Regards,
Dariusz