Re: apps in menu configured to start as root no longer do [solved]

On 12/21/2012 09:31 AM, Claude Jones wrote:
Apps such as Krusader-root-mode and Ksystemlog which are configured to run as root will no longer start. I'm running F18 TC1 but I decided to ask here first as I've seen this behavior before with KDE menu items, but can't remember the fix. Normal behavior is to get an authorization dialog and after entering the root password, the apps would start. This was working yesterday. Now, I just get the spinning wheel in the task bar for a few moments and then nothing. I've looked at logs but I can't find any evidence of why this is failing. If I run the same commands from the command prompt as root, they open just fine.

I'd initially ticked the box on installation, making my self an administrator. I didn't like the way that turned out, because it wasn't uniform with regards to which apps would require my own password, or root's. So, I removed myself from the wheel group. I believe it was after that that things stopped working. There have also been numerous updates since the problem started sometime yesterday - so, maybe that was a cause. I tried a full reboot, and now, things appear to be working.

--
Claude Jones
Brunswick, MD, USA