Re: iphone and amarok on F14

On Thu, 2010-12-23 at 14:20 +0000, Roderick Johnstone wrote:
> On 23/12/10 14:06, Patrick O'Callaghan wrote:

> >> ok, great!

> >> Will do when I can. Unfortunately its not my iphone (belongs to one of
> >> my users) so may not be able to do this before the new year.
> >>
> >> Possibly Patrick, who is in this thread, can do this in a more timely
> >> fashion???
> >
> > OK, here goes:
> >
> > $  mtp-detect
> > libmtp version: 1.0.3
> >
> > Listing raw device(s)
> > Device 0 (VID=05ac and PID=1294) is a Sony DCR-SR75.
> >     Found 1 device(s):
> >     Sony: DCR-SR75 (05ac:1294) @ bus 1, dev 17
> > Attempting to connect device(s)
> > LIBMTP PANIC: Unable to read device information on device 17 on bus 1,
> > trying to continueUnable to open raw device 0
> > OK.
> >
> > poc
>
> I assume you tried editing:
> /usr/share/hal/fdi/information/10freedesktop/10-usb-music-players-libmtp.fdi
> to have the right info since you reported in BZ #642487 exactly what the
> problem was. Did that make the music players work, or what happened then?

I did edit it, to the extent of changing the string mentioned in the
pop-up. However it didn't fix the basic problem of the iPhone not being
automatically recognized (i.e. the pop-up offering sensible options for
what to do), so clearly some other changes are required. Possibly this
line:

<merge key="portable_audio_player.libmtp.protocol" type="string">mtp</merge>

is the one to look at, but I really don't have much idea what I'm doing
here, and again, I'm not convinced that MTP is what we should be looking
at. There's a whole bunch of .fdi files that aren't part of the MTP
package and may be more relevant. For example, this one:

/usr/share/hal/fdi/information/20thirdparty/10-camera-libgphoto2.fdi

which has specific 3GS info, but only for the camera function.

How all this stuff fits together is a mystery which may be elucidated in
the HAL or FDI documentation, but not in an obvious way. It's ironic
that this whole apparatus is supposed to make it easy to adapt Linux to
new devices by changing config files, but is so hard to understand.
What's needed is a Dummies Guide to tell the average user what to do.

poc