Re: Shared Redis instance

On Mon, Nov 28, 2022 at 10:49:28AM +0100, Aurelien Bompard wrote:
> > - You'll need to share the same redis password across several projects.
>
> Redis does have users and permissions, at least from a quick look at
> their docs: https://docs.redis.com/latest/rc/security/database-security/passwords-users-roles/
>
> > - Since you'll use an emptyDir (in-memory storage), every restart will flush the cache for all connected applications.
>
> I was thinking of running Redis in a VM, not in OpenShift. Sorry if
> that wasn't clear in my initial message.
>
> > - Applications owners lose control over the redis instance in case they want to do some fancy stuff with it, or just general debugging.
>
> True.
>
> > It avoids a single point of failure for a bunch of services.
>
> Right, but that's what our PostgreSQL host is at the moment already.

Yeah, true. I have thought about splitting that out too, but I am not
sure if I think it's a good idea to have databases in openshift and
making them vm's adds overhead of more vm's.

> > Contention/resource problems. (ie, one app is hammering the shared instance and starving other apps for resources).
>
> True, true.
>
> OK, that makes sense. The good thing about having a central Redis DB
> was, in my mind, to have persistent storage. What happens if I store a
> lot of data in the Redis Openshift pod? Won't that hit a memory limit?
> I think our current usage of Redis has been pubsub and light cache,
> but we haven't stored a lot of data in there yet.

Well, we can actually do persistent storage in the ocp4 cluster. ;)

There's nfs volumes, but also there's a local ceph storage (using disk
on the compute nodes). I'm not sure how slow/fast it might be, but it is
there...

kevin