Re: Rethinking fedora websites deployment

On 2022-11-28 01:32, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
Some more I have thought on:

E) a twist on A. We build and serve in openshift, but we stick
cloudfront in front of it. This would solve the speed problems, but
still would have the openshift down issue.

I'm not familiar with Cloudfront, so I can't really comment on that one.

F) (this is a fun one :) How about looking into FCOS or RHEL for edge?
In this model we would install ostree based vm's in the places we have
proxies now and we would build the web content as a ostree ref and pull
it from our registry (or quay.io). I think this would be fun, but
probibly overkill/too much effort for just static content, but I thought
I would throw it out there.

That does sounds a bit overkill yes :) I'm not expert on the subject, but I believe applying a new ostree ref requires a reboot to use it, right? I was considering something similar in the past: Build the websites into a container image, then pull & extract the content on the proxies. One downside to that is every build creates a new image (or at least a new layer), that proxies will have to pull every time. With rsync (or s3 sync) we only download what actually changes and save bandwidth in the long run.

I like B... but possibly could be talked into C.

The thing I don't like about C is that it has less visibility, if there
was a problem, it would require someone from websites to fix, rather
than possibly being something that anyone with access to openshift could
fix.

That's a valid point.

I think I'll go with B as a starting point. We could always build from there at a later time, as we see fit.

-darknao