Re: planet

On Wed, Mar 02, 2022 at 09:16:29PM +0000, Ankur Sinha wrote:
> > It's so selective, though -- the set of people who blog about what they're
> > doing isn't representative of the community. I mean, even if we made people
> > more aware of it, it's not going to make more people into bloggers.
>
> Is there one platform that is representative of the community though?

Wouldn't that be nice?!

This presents a nice opportunity to put forth an idea that Ben surely knew
would be coming at some point: Discourse has an RSS polling plugin!
https://meta.discourse.org/t/configure-the-discourse-rss-polling-plugin/156387

We could set up a category specifically for aggregated blog posts. (Probably
with replies disabled — although you could reply-as-new-linked-topic into a
different categegory.)

This isn't _just_ "Matthew loves discourse and is looking at it as a hammer to
hit all nails". It's also a way to help pull different threads together in
once central place, so that there _is_ eventually a representative platform.

> > > I think just letting people share what they wish is fine. That way folks
> > > self curate what they think should go to the planet and when something
> > > goes against the CoC etc., it gets flagged. The current signal to noise
> > > ratio isn't too bad. I tend to skim titles quickly and only read posts
> > > that are relevant.
> > I'd like to see it a little more focused. Having it be _whatever_ opens us
> > up to potential trouble.
> It isn't quite _whatever_ even now. "The Planet is a place for
> expression of many ideas related to the Fedora Project". Whatever
> platform is used, it'll have to be quite advanced to filter posts based
> on criteria that someone sets up to keep the output feed focused enough.

I think the filter would be: ask people to use feed categories on their
blogs as a requirement for setting it up, and if we notice that being
misused, disconnect that blog.

> > Plus there are some feeds which someone clearly set up many years ago and
> > just plain have nothing relevant anymore ever. That's not a problem in the
> > same sense, but does decrease the value.
>
> Is this a platform issue either though? Irrespective of what we use,
> we'll have outdated input sources that will need to be cleaned up from
> time to time. We've just never had a policy in place for a planet clean
> up.

It's partly a platform issue because of the self-service nature. The
Discourse plugin requires admin configuration, which has its own downsides,
but means that people can flag the posts and an admin handle it like any
kind of moderation. With Planet, removing something from an administrative
point of view is a lot of process (and interrupt-driven infrastructure team
work).

--
Matthew Miller
<mattdm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>