Re: Ticket notifications in IRC

On Tue, 2021-07-13 at 10:03 -0700, Kevin Fenzi wrote:
> On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 08:30:29PM +1000, Ryan Lerch wrote:
> > On Tue, Jul 13, 2021 at 8:23 PM Aurelien Bompard
> > <abompard@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> > >
> > > Hey folks!
> > >
> > > We currently have messages posted on the  #fedora-apps and  #fedora-infrastructure IRC channels when there's a ticket change or a pull-request change. I don't know about the infrastructure channel, but it makes it difficult to have a development conversation in #fedora-apps, the signal/noise ratio is just too low.
> > >
> > > Are you all happy with this setup? I would like to propose we move those notifications to a different channel, such as #fedora-apps-activity (and #fedora-infrastructure-activity). Otherwise I can go have my development discussions in another channel, it's fine too.
> > >
> > > What do you think?
> >
> > Yes -- i agree with moving the notifications to a separate channel.
> >
> > I actually had a PR to change this already -- but just hadnt filed it
> > yet. -- i have now:
> >
> > https://pagure.io/fedora-infra/ansible/pull-request/683
>
> I guess we can do this... I just dispair for irc channel sprawl.
> ;(
>
> Is any level of messages useful in #fedora-apps?
>
> Are there going to be any people who join a #fedora-apps-activity ?
>
> I mean, we could just also drop it entirely if people don't want it.
> Or adjust it so only 'important' things go there.

I do find the level of messages pretty overwhelming. Especially when
we're getting stuff like "edited the priority fields of ticket blah"
and "assigned ticket blah to blah". It does make it very difficult to
see actual conversations in the backscroll.

It does seem interesting that other groups don't do this and seem to
function. We don't have all the QA-related trackers notifying #fedora-
qa every time anyone touches a ticket, yet things still seem to work
and the tickets aren't ignored...
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA