Re: DKIM & fedora lists

Hi,

Dominique Martinet wrote on Tue, Nov 03, 2020:
> Out of curiosity, if you're reluctant to change the from, could mailman
> disable the footer if there is dkim involved instead?
>
> I honestly I don't see much use in that footer for devel@ as most of it
> is redondant with the List-xxx headers that good mail clients handle and
> display accordingly (well, the code of conduct is missing, but could be
> sent at list subscription time)
> I can understand it could be useful for more user-oriented lists but
> maybe I'm overestimating developers... And the fact I hadn't noticed
> devel@ has a footer in ~5 years of subscription shows how much attention
> it gets from me!

On this end, I found a setting in opendkim that allows signing only part
of the body up to a certain length (l= in the header, BodyLengthDB in
the config)
I've just turned it on and could have misconfigured it so it might not
work for this mail but that should solve the footer problem... IF the
lists stop stripping the header.

I guess if I understand Miroslav's reply that this won't happen
though :(

I also just found about "ARC", authenticated received chain, which
mailman appears to support:
https://docs.mailman3.org/projects/mailman/en/latest/src/mailman/handlers/docs/arc_sign.html

If I understand things correctly this would mean the mailman server
performs an initial validation and sign that with its own key, then
final recipients could somehow trust the ARC header over the original
domain's.

Unfortunately that doesn't appear to be a per-list option so it looks
difficult to test on the lists.fedoraproject.org infra and I'm a bit
reluctant to install a mailman myself, but I think that'd be a promising
option if there is interest.

Anyway, thanks for the attention & multiple replies, I understand this
is a bit of a touchy subject as it's very hard to get feedback
(especially from big entities like gmail) ; I'll probably setup a
subdomain without dmarc/dkim for lists to keep around and will switch to
it for fedora lists...
--
Dominique