Re: Updating fedocal to work with Python 3

On Tue, 2020-06-02 at 19:38 +0000, Jonathan Trossbach wrote:
> Hi everyone!
>
> My name is Jon Trossbach and I am a first time contributor to the
> Fedora project. My first goal is to get fedocal working with Python
> 3.
>
> I am currently trying to use this set of Ansible playbooks (
> https://pagure.io/fedora-infra/ansible) to deploy fedocal in a CentOS
> 7 virtual machine using VirtualBox and Vagrant but I can't get the
> playbook to finish without running into some errors. So I guess my
> first question is: am I using these Ansible playbooks for their
> intended purpose in trying to set up an individual development
> environment for fedocal?

Probably not. Those ansible plays are intended for the Fedora
infrastructure environment specifically. Some people try to bear in
mind 'generic' use of the playbooks when working there, but you can't
rely on it. It may be best to treat the playbooks as a useful guide
rather than literally trying to run them outside of the infra
environment. The plays are also intended to set up real production
instances, not development environments.

>  Or should I just follow the README in its github repository (
> https://github.com/fedora-infra/fedocal)? I've attempted both ways of
> setting up a development environment and can't seem to get either to
> work.

What problem did you have with this approach?
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey